Lip Slur Melodies:
A melodic approach to building tone and technique with lip slurs
Why do Lip Slur Melodies?
They help develop…
• Air: Continuously flowing, no breaks
• Embouchure: Focused and agile
• Slide: Quick and accurate
In this book (132 pages) you’ll find:
• Beginning melodies
• High range development melodies
• Low range development melodies
• Challenging and virtuoso melodies
• 33 Duets
I love playing these because they are beautifully melodic and every note is coming from and going to a natural slur. I think you have really hit the essence of Arnold Jacobs’ teaching. This makes it easy: just blow air and move your lips and slide with the rhythm. Thank you, Brad Edwards !!Charlie Vernon, Chicago Symphony Orchestra
Lip Slurs: progressive exercises for building tone and technique
Lip Slurs is an 84-page comprehensive supplement for any trombone (or euphonium) player wishing to build technique and improve tone quality. The difficulty ranges from basic to virtuoso. It includes three main sections:
- Slow Slurs – To build tone, improve range and develop control.
- Fast Slurs – To build facility throughout the range of the instrument.
- Lip Slur Melodies – Etudes reminiscent of the Bordogni vocalizes with an interesting twist: all the legato phrases can be played completely with natural lip slurs.
Reviews / Endorsements
This is the bible of Lip Slurs. If you ever get bored of your routine, simply get a copy of Brad Edwards’ Lip Slur Book and these exercises will last you a lifetime. I have always said that it is essential to visit lip slurs everyday you pick up the horn. This is the perfect book to keep you going.Joe Alessi, Principal Trombone, New York Philharmonic